top of page

This Winter, Stay Cozy without the CO

Winter means warm and cozy nights by the fire, hot chocolate, and snowfall, but it can also unfortunately mean an elevated risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless gas produced when any fuel such as gasoline, kerosene, natural gas, methane, or propane, burns incompletely due to inadequate oxygen.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is a leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in the U.S. It decreases the blood's ability to carry oxygen to the brain, other vital organs, and cells, leading to loss of consciousness and loss of life. A 2007 study, authored by our own Dr. Kenneth Stoller, found that hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) is the most effective treatment for acute CO poisoning. He adds that HBOT also appears to hold promise for those with chronic CO exposure and those who have delayed treatment.

Be sure to check out the safety guidelines provided by New Mexico Gas Company on how to detect CO and symptoms of CO poisoning in your home. This winter, stay cozy and stay safe.

bottom of page